Economic Development Queensland commissioned Liberty Industrial to remediate an 80,000m3 asbestos- contaminated site for a new road alignment as part of the Northshore Hamilton Urban Development Project - a large waterfront urban renewal project in Brisbane, Queensland. The detailed scope of works included site preparation, vegetation clearing, environmental controls, earthworks, excavation and disposal of asbestos- containing soil, reinstatement of surfaces and traffic management.
- Extensive planning and consultation were undertaken to ensure compliance with safety and environmental regulations.
- Soil excavation was undertaken by utilising the 36t excavators with bucket attachments.
- Stringent procedures and controls were adopted including dedicated water carts to ensure no airborne asbestos fibres.
- Occupational hygienists undertook daily air monitoring, validation sampling and reporting on the asbestos removal process to provide clearance to DEHP to remove the site from the contaminated sites register.
- Traffic management was conducted for the duration of the project to ensure safety to all personnel.
- The project was executed to the client’s complete satisfaction – on budget, on schedule and without injury or incident.
- Occupational Hygienists undertook daily air monitoring, validation sampling and reporting on the asbestos removal process to provide clearance to DEHP to remove the site from the contaminated sites register.