Qube Logistics commissioned Liberty Industrial to construct a 3,000,000 litre containment basin to enable the containment, management and temporary storage of surface waters run-off impacted by per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) on the Moorebank Intermodal Terminal site.
- A basin was constructed with imported sandstone to ensure structural integrity, lined with High-Density Polyethylene, the outside batters dressed in topsoil and jute mesh to prevent erosion. This basin was fitted with a fusion-welded HDPE Pipe in the base to gravity feed the water treatment plant. This reduced the need to access the upper slope of the basin and the need for pumping water by mechanical means.
- The PFAS contaminated water in the western area of the site was carefully managed with a series of swales and basins to capture surface water runoff and prevent the release of PFAS impacted water into the environment.
- The PFAS contaminated water in the eastern area required off-site storage, management and treatment solution.
- Our team liaised with other stakeholders to design a solution to manage stormwater and surface water runoff impacted by PFAS. These designs were ratified by project consultants and approved by the client.
- Our team worked with the client to develop a solution that considered the site’s development staging plans and potential discharge points for the treated water.
- This project was a notable effort by Liberty in the water treatment field which was completed on time with outstanding HSEQ performance.