Rig lifting container onto a ship for transport

Hay Point Terminal – Disassembly and Disposal of Shiploader and Berth 2 Replacement Project

Location
Mackay, QLD
Client
McConnell Dowell
Duration
10 Months
Status
Completed 2023

Overview

Liberty Industrial was engaged by BHP’s client McConnell Dowell to decommission, disassemble and dispose of the existing wharf and ship loader associated with the Shiploader and Berth 2 Replacement (SABR) project. Liberty Industrial liaised with BHP and McConnell Dowell for an extensive 4-months of engineering and planning phase. A small percentage of the wharf and ship loader of approximately 1500t was processed locally at the Half Tide Tug Harbour located near the berth, with the remaining majority of 5000t shipped to the Australian Marine Complex, a secondary processing area located in Henderson, Western Australia, via a Heavy Lift Vessel which sailed more than 3070 Nautical miles.

Challenges

  • North Queensland’s cyclone season extended between November-March each year, and there was a strict timeline for project completion.
  • Our team identified several key project challenges, including the limited availability of Heavy Lift Vessels and jack-up barges; and the over-water location of the berth and ship loader, which presented an unforgiving environment that required several HSEQ parameters to be taken into consideration.
  • The disassembly works was carried out close to several other live coal-loading assets that was key to the Queensland economy.
  • Disassembly and disposal activities were scheduled to be completed within a strict berth shutdown period. With two key processing areas – one in Queensland and one in Western Australia, active stakeholder management that involved the state governments was critical.

Robust Solutions/Exceptional Outcomes

Robust solutions

  • We established two processing areas for the decommissioned structures. The first processing area was based at Half Tide Tug Harbour, Queensland, near the project site, for approximately 1500t of the wharf and ship loader. The second processing area was located at the Australian Marine Complex in Henderson, Western Australia, where 5000t of the existing wharf and ship loader were transported via Heavy lift Vessel, with 11 days of sea travel.
  • Successfully offloaded and transported over 5000t of redundant coal handling and berth structures using self propelled modular transporters (SPMT’s) and an 1100t Jacking System to lower the structures weighing up to 1080t and 28 metres in height. Utilised Liberty’s very own purpose built 120t high reach demolition excavator coupled with a 10t shear attachment, along with our highly trained demolition works teams and fleet of auxiliary machines to safely dismantle and process all the berth structures.

 

Exceptional outcomes

An incredible recycling recovery rate of 98% was achieved, with only the remaining 2% being transported and disposed at landfills. We successfully enforced our core sustainability values of eliminating waste and pollution by maintaining a circular economy.

Value Add

01

Demolition Simulation and Modelling

With exclusive license to demonstrate using Extreme Loading® for Structures (ELS) software developed by Applied Sciences International (ASI).

02

Deconstruction

Use of best approach demolition and dismantling such as explosive using world class fleet, safety and engineering methodologies in explosives and rigging.

03

Asset and Resource Recovery

Comprehensive waste and recycling management to contribute to the circular economy to extend the lifecycle of materials.

04

Decontamination and Industrial Cleaning

Designing engineered solutions for decontamination such as removal of asbestos, heavy metals, PCBs, dioxins, PFAS and NORMs.

values-bg

integrated capability responsible decommissioning

decommissioning closure and asset liability consulting

consulting risk management engineered solutions 3d simulation

and simulation liberty modelling dismantling and asset

dismantling and asset recovery synchronised safety

deconstruction resource recovery and recycling expert delivery

high expert industrial delivery reach consulting

expert delivery high reach explosive induced collapse

collapse specialised contracting decontamination

decontamination cleaning remediation environmental stewards

stewards risk mitigation and management waste disposal

How can we help you?

Whether it's a project you would like to discuss, an idea you would like to ponder, or perhaps you're just keen to learn more. We'd love to hear from you!

Get in touch

Search Liberty Industrial