Liberty Industrial was engaged by Rio Tinto to assist with the decontamination, demolition and disposal works for the Gove Refinery project located in the North East Arnhem Land of remote Northern Territory. After 52 years of mining activity, our client Rio Tinto has commenced the process of decommissioning, dismantling and rehabilitating the land, all of which will be returned to the Yolngu Traditional Owners, who will decide the future of the area.
- Through close collaboration with Rio Tinto during the early works phase, we outlined clear demolition methodologies of high-risk structures and comprehensive management plans, including health and safety compliance.
- Methodologies, such as 3D modelling and simulation and mechanical demolition, are being used to predict and de-risk the project process while we ensure a safe workspace as we remove our personnel from the line of fire during our decommissioning works.
- Our extensive plant and equipment will be deployed on-site, including Liberty Industrial’s custom-built 200t excavators with ultra-high reach functionalities.
- The construction and commissioning of two water treatment plants capable of treating and recycling contaminated wastewater.
- Our team has been engaging with local subcontractors and Traditional Owners, where we provide mutually beneficial initiatives and work opportunities through demolition traineeships.
Liberty Industrial’s primary focus is to have our highly competent project team complete the decommissioning of the Gove Refinery Closure Project within the scheduled project timeframe, assigned budget and with zero safety incidents.