Iluka Resources commissioned Liberty Industrial for the demolition of a four storey mineral sands concentrator and all associated equipment at its redundant mining facilities located near Gingin in Western Australia. Forming part of a rehabilitation process for the site, works included connected tanks and hoppers, removal of office amenities and associated plant and equipment.
- The team engaged a radiation safety officer to conduct a radiation survey of the site prior to demolition works.
- Provisioned a specialist crew and equipment.
- Ensured dust controls were in place at all times for the safety of personnel.
- All waste that was transported off-site, was monitored with a Geiger counter to ensure no harm to the public or environment.
- Induced controlled collapse of structures, section by section using a 38t excavator.
- Engaged with the local community to help salvage as many items as possible which included recovery of water tanks, poly pipes, power poles and air-conditioners.
- Demountable offices were sold to a local salvage yard.
The project was completed on time, within budget and without injury or incident. 96% of all demolition waste was recycled onsite.