BHP Billiton Iron Ore commissioned Liberty Industrial to demolish the briquetting and reactor structures together with the adjacent gas plant. The reactor, the tallest structure on-site, at 104m high represented the largest demolition project ever undertaken in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Meticulous planning and consultation at the onset to develop a precise and safe demolition methodology.
- Use of 3D modelling simulation software.
- Use of a combination of techniques from pre-weakening cuts to allow mechanically induced collapses, to oxy cutting and controlled explosives implosions.
- Provision of state-of-the-art demolition equipment, including Liberty Industrial’s heavy-duty customised 230t Liebherr 994 complete with the world’s largest shear attachment − the Genesis GXT 2555R to downsize and process the scrap metal.
- The project was masterfully executed as planned to the client’s complete satisfaction, on budget, on schedule and without issue or injury.
- Liberty Industrial was the first Australian company to reach the finals of the 2012 World Demolition Awards when the Boodarie HBI Closure project was shortlisted.
- The project was shortlisted again at the 2013 World Demolition Awards in the Industrial Demolition category.